5-6 Cups Sushi Rice (See Sushi Rice Recipe)
nori (seaweed sheets)
Sushi Ingredients (Choose 3 to 5 ingredients for each roll):
- Shrimp powder (oboro, denbu)
- Kamaboko (fish cake), cut into 1/2″ strips
- Egg strips – 2-3 eggs, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon mirin. Mix, cook on low heat, cool slice into 1/2″ strips
- Shiitake Mushrooms – soak, remove stems, slice 1/2″ strips, cook in dashi
- Kampyo (gourd shaving) – soften, rub with salt, rinse, cook in dashi with Shiitake
- Takuan (yellow pickled daikon), cut into 1/2″ strips
- Cucumber (English or Japanese) cut into 1/2″ strips
- Celery, slice into strips, rub with salt, rinse
- Unagi (canned eel), refrigerate can, slice into strips (1 can = 10 rolls)
Place one sheet of seaweed, smooth side down, on a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Spread sushi rice over the entire sheet of seaweed (about 1/2 inch thick) leaving the top inch of the seaweed bare. Lay 3 to 5 of the sushi ingredients about 1″ from the bottom edge. Holding ingredients together, carefully roll the bamboo mat towards the top. Dampen the exposed seaweed at the top with water, finish rolling and seal the roll.
Cut each roll into 8 equal pieces and serve with sliced red ginger.