Poached Pears with Ginger & Walnut Yogurt Sauce
8 Canned pear halves (water packed; reserved juice)
2 tablespoons walnuts (chopped)
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger (chopped)
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- Lay pear halves round side down in a heavy skillet.
- Pour a little of the can juices over the top.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and boil the liquid until the syrup is thick and caramelized and the pear halves are golden.
- Remove pears from the skillet and lay 2 halves on each plate.
- Toss nuts and ginger into the pan with the remaining juice and heat through. (To cut carbohydrates, reduce ginger to 1 tablespoon).
Spoon a pool of yogurt around pears then pour the nut and ginger sauce over the top.
Serves 4. Per Serving:
139 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5% calories from saturated fat, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 51 mg sodium. Low-Carb Per Serving: 130 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5% calories from saturated fat, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 45 mg sodium. Exchanges: ½ fat, 1½ carbohydrate
GRAHAM KERR Television Personality and Award-Winning Author
Best known for hosting the beloved television cooking program The Galloping Gourmet in the early ‘70s, Graham continues to be an influence in the food world today. He travels the globe as a culinary consultant, is the author of 38 books, and appears on numerous television programs. His focus is on helping people make healthy and creative lifestyle choices, believing that the only lasting changes are the ones that we enjoy. Graham’s ongoing goal is ‘to help convert habits that harm into resources that heal.’